Re-stocking the Bar U Shorthorns have long been recognized as the “Great Improvers”, and their contribution on the range-land of North America is well documented. With the opening of the western frontiers, cattle of the Corillo type, a predecessor of the Texas Longhorn, ran wild, mainly in the lower states. Costing very little, these black and red cattle where driven northward to the ‘sea of grass’. The males where fattened off and slaughtered and the females retained to become the base of the western range cow herd.
Fred Stimson is the manager and a shareholder of the 150,000 acre spread brought from Chicago 21 of the best Shorthorn bulls on offer at the September 1881 sale. Along with the bulls came a young man by the name of Herb Miller. The bulls arrived at the Bar U, in the spring of 1882. It was quite a local joke; ” 21 bulls and not a cow to be had”. Stimson was on his way to purchase his foundation in the Lost River valley of Idaho. A stronghold of outstanding Durham bred cattle. Here he purchased 3500 head, including 70 more thoroughbred Shorthorn cows, and 10 more bulls. The Bar U was now set to produce the ‘best beef the world has seen’. The inventory sheet of 1890 show 10,410 head of cattle, 832 horses and 157,960 acres of land. The Bar U ran this large herd utilizing their Shorthorn genetics, augmenting the herd bulls with purchases made up the road at the ” Prince of Wales” ranch. There they boasted one of the finest sets of imported Shorthorns in North America.
In commemoration, 20 Shorthorn cows now make the historic site home. The vision was born with Lewis Pederson and Rolly Bateman. Thanks to the efforts of the Friends of the Bar U, the Alberta Shorthorn Association, in particular, Gene Foat and his committee, along with Parks Canada, an effective program has begun. The historic site is located south on hiway 22, just 7 miles south of Longview Alberta. If you would like more information please contact us at 1-800-387-6909 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.